How to Claim Your Scholarship
Pathways to Success – Community Scholarship Program
$182,550 awarded in 2021, thanks to our super-generous sponsors.
You may apply for your scholarship funds between July 1, 2021 and January 31, 2022. Request your award after you have enrolled in classes at a two or four-year college or university, or in another accredited trade or vocational program.
Summary (See details below):
- Provide proof of enrollment in school via AwardSpring.
- Email the Foundation to notify us your documents are in the system.
- Allow 30 days from receipt of complete, valid documentation to process payment.
- Note the COVID-19 exceptions to standard procedures below.
- Announcements and information will be sent to you via our email system. Our mailing list includes the address you used when you applied for your scholarship.
- Notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if your email address has changed.
- Make sure you have also changed your email in AwardSpring to a personal email address, as your high school address will no longer work. This will be a problem if you ever forget your password. [1)Log in with the original email on file. 2)The email address can be changed by clicking on the drop-down arrow in the upper right-hand corner where you see the current email address and selecting Account. Change the email address and hit the save button.]
Use AwardSpring to submit the documents required to claim your scholarship funds. This is the same system you used to complete your application.
- When you login, you will see your scholarship(s) listed on your dashboard.
- Select a scholarship and follow the instructions to upload the documents that prove your current enrollment in school.
- Send an email to email@example.com to notify us that you have submitted your documents.
REQUIRED forms of proof of enrollment are:
- A copy of your registration for classes. The class schedule MUST show your name, the school name, and the dates of enrollment.
- And your college student identification card. (See COVID-19 exceptions.)
- Additional documents from your school may be submitted, if your schedule doesn’t show all the required information.
Payment of Scholarship Funds:
- You may submit your documents prior to July 1, but we do not begin processing awards until after July 1.
- Allow 30 days for us to process your request from July 1 or your submission date.
- Additional time may be required if you do not have a photo student ID because of COVID-19, as we may need to validate your enrollment.
- Scholarship funds may be used on any school-related expenses. This includes items like tuition, fees, books, activity charges, supplies/equipment, or housing.
- In most cases, scholarship funds will be sent directly to the student.
- Some scholarship sponsors require that the funds be sent to the college. We will let you know if this is done on your behalf. Your school financial aid office will then provide information about how you may access your funds.
- You may request by email that we send your funds to your school on your behalf. If you wish to do this, please provide the mailing address for the check.
- We recommend you check with your school first to ask questions regarding how your funds may be used and what happens to them should you transfer to another school.
COVID-19 Modifications / Exceptions to Standard Procedures
- We have been told that most schools will be open as usual, and that student IDs will be provided.
- If your school does not issue photo ID cards because of Coronavirus restrictions, you may still claim your scholarship funds.
- Submit a copy of a valid, government-issued identification card. (Driver’s license, passport, or state-issued ID.) Your high school ID card is NOT acceptable.
- Your schedule of classes is an absolute requirement. You must be enrolled in classes.
- Enrollment in virtual classes is acceptable.
- We must validate your student ID number, so make sure it appears on your schedule. If it is not on your schedule, submit an additional document from your school that displays it.
- If your scholarships total more than $2,000 and you do not have a college-issued photo student ID, your enrollment will be verified with your school. Please allow additional processing time for us to contact them.
Supporting New Haven schools and students since 1981. Nonprofit since 2007.
Project Requests Funded
Grants Awarded Since 2015
Over $1,378,000 in scholarships awarded since 2007 to help New Haven students attend college!
Since becoming an independent nonprofit in 2007, NHSF has awarded over a million dollars to provide scholarships for New Haven students. Our scholarship program was launched in 1981, but becoming a nonprofit clearly enabled us to help more students achieve higher education.
- How to Claim Your Scholarship (Students)
- How to Establish a New Scholarship (Sponsors)
- How to Review and Score Applications (Sponsors)
You Can Donate to a Scholarship and Help a Student Attend College
Thanks to the PayPal Giving Fund, your credit card donation will be processed fee-free, and PayPal will even donate 1% of your donation to NHSF. Please forward your confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can track it
You can conveniently contribute to scholarships, grants and other Foundation programs by payroll deduction. Donations are tax-deductible and may be directed to one or more of the specific programs. Even small donations add up and make a difference for our students!
Send the completed form to the Payroll Department at the ESC.